BARBADOS-Opposition party claims it remains focused on the annual general conference.
BRIDGETOWN, Barbados, CMC – The main opposition Democratic Labour Party (DLP), says it remains “singularly focused” on preparations for its annual general conference this weekend and is doing “everything possible to have a productive and peaceful” event.
The Party, swept aside 30-nil in the last two general elections, recently expelled its former leader, Dr. Ronnie Yearwood, and its general secretary, Steve Blackett. Yearwood said he hopes the annual general conference will reverse the decision.
The annual general conference is scheduled for August 23 and 24.
“This event is crucial as we continue to address the critical issues facing the people of Barbados. Any distractions from this goal hinder our collective progress,” the Party said in a statement, claiming that it had become aware of a meeting last Sunday by a .” group of disaffected supporters of the Party.”
The statement did not name the “disaffected supporters” but said the meeting was conducted without authorization on all the Party’s official platforms.
“Democracy is the cornerstone of our party, and we will always protect the right to free expression,” the DLP said, adding that the preliminary investigation into the unauthorized use of the platforms “have revealed a small group of members have effectively commandeered these platforms and are now using them in a manner that undermines the Party’s integrity and objectives.
“This is a disturbing development and a severe breach, as these platforms are the property of the Party, intended to serve its collective mission. Moreover, the Party is also investigating reports of missing equipment during our recent transition period, which is believed to be in the possession of another member.
“These actions not only show a blatant disregard for the Party’s Constitution but also potentially violate the laws of Barbados. Such behavior, driven by desperation, is deplorable and starkly contrasts the values we uphold.”
The DLP said that the Barbados Police Service had been notified, “and we believe that criminal charges may be laid against the person or persons involved.
“In light of these developments, the DLP must distance itself from any communications or posts currently appearing on its social media platforms, as they do not represent the Party’s official position.
“At a later date, the Party will announce the steps it has taken to establish a new social media presence, in keeping with the new focus, new ideas, and new energy that will take it forward to the next elections,” the DLP added.
Yearwood and Blackett were expelled last Thursday, and in a notice to DLP members, the Party’s acting General Secretary Pedro Sheperd, formally announced their expulsion following a general council meeting.
They had been suspended from office over developments primarily connected to their opposition to the Party’s new political leader, Ralph Thorne, who had crossed over from the ruling Barbados Labour Party (BLP).
“Thursday night was a dark day for democracy in Barbados and the Party, and it’s a historic moment. They will look back on this moment in a couple of years and recognize we were at a fork in the road,” said Yearwood, who, in August 2023, was elected leader of the opposition party for two years.
The University of the West Indies (UWI) law lecturer insists that his expulsion from the Party was not done right, saying, “It is clear that it was not above board.
Blackett said he felt hurt by last Thursday’s expulsion and urged the membership to rise up and make the wrong things right during the DLP’s annual general conference.

















































and then