ANTIGUA-Government receives a preliminary report from UN bodies regarding West Africans.

0
758

ST. JOHN’S, Antigua, CMC – The Antigua and Barbuda government says it has received “a preliminary report” from the United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) and the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) regarding the hundreds of West African nationals on the island.

The government had turned to the two United Agencies last month after several West African nationals, mainly Cameroonians, died when the boat they were traveling on capsized off the coast of St. Kitts-Nevis. At least 13 of them were rescued, and three bodies were recovered. But several others are missing and presumed dead.

More than 900 West African nationals arrived here last November and December on charted flights. Since then, the authorities have said approximately 200 of them have legally left the Antigua and Barbuda shores.

The last official numbers released in early February stated that 637 African migrants were still here.

A statement issued following the weekly Cabinet meeting noted that the issue had been discussed and that the “UNHCR and the IOM have concluded a preliminary report which is to be examined by the national agencies playing a part in the resettling exercise.”

The statement said there was also a “report that the small fishing boat, which unlawfully departed Antigua with 32 passengers and overturned near St. Kitts, drifted into Puerto Rico’s waters with one body on board.

“A group of about 15 West Africans now in Guadeloupe are likely to be dealt with by those authorities. The West Africans and two Antiguans rescued by St. Kitts and Nevis Coast Guard 10 days ago remain in that country’s custody, it was reported,” the statement added.

Meanwhile, on Thursday night, several people turned out for a “black march and vigil” in tribute to the African migrants who perished in the March 28 boat disaster.

Clergy members also attended the event. The main opposition United Progressive Party (UPP), has since launched a petition, calling on the Governor General to inquire into the circumstances that led to the arrival of the West Africans here and the subsequent tragedy.

Prime Minister Gaston Browne, who has said his administration would launch a “full investigation” into the incident, said the government has been making “every effort to be helpful to these brothers and sisters from Africa who were marooned on Antigua, including by granting them residence and the opportunity to work.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here