ST. JOHN’S, Antigua, CMC -Both the ruling Antigua and Barbuda Labour Party (ABLP) and the main opposition United Progressive Party (UPP) have named candidates to contest the March 16 by-election here after Sir Robin Yearwood earlier this week announced his immediate resignation from the Parliament after serving for 50 consecutive years.
The ABLP has named Randy Baltimore, who has since resigned his position as the Principal Inspector with the Antigua and Barbuda Customs & Excise Division, to contest the St. Phillip’s North constituency and maintain the party’s slim majority in the 17-member Parliament.
The ABLP currently holds nine of the 17 seats, and the UPP is banking on Alex Browne, an opposition senator since 2023, to hand the opposition its first victory in the constituency.
Nomination Day is scheduled for March 25, and the Antigua and Barbuda Electoral Commission (ABEC) Supervisor of Elections, Ian S. Hughes, said preparations have already begun following the issuance of the Writ of Elections on Thursday.
Hughes said he anticipates a surge in the number of people who will come forward to renew their voter ID cards to be eligible to participate in the vote, as was the case last January when a by-election was held in the St. Peter constituency.
Hughes said the number of people likely to be eligible to vote in the elections would be just under two thousand. Currently, there are 1,972 eligible voters in the constituency up to the end of October, 2025.



















































and then