
PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad, CMC—Work at the Port of Spain was severely affected on Monday as workers protested the Trinidad and Tobago government’s decision not to honor a 12 percent wage increase dating back to 2014.
The workers assembled outside the office of the Works and Transport Minister Rohan Sinanan, who told Parliament last Friday that based on legal advice from two senior counsels, the Port Authority of Trinidad and Tobago (PATT) and the Seamen and Waterfront Workers Trade Union (SWWTU) had been advised that the memorandum of agreement (MOA) under which the 12 percent wage agreement had been reached is not enforceable.
“No surrender, no retreat. “Enough is enough,” the workers shouted, and SWWTU President General Michael Annisette confirmed, “There are several areas that are not functional.”
He also said that PATT had called a meeting with the workers this morning at seven o’clock.
“Most of the workers, the majority, felt that it was an insult to the workers that you bypassed the union and called for a meeting to talk directly with them,” Annisette added.
The PATT chairman, Lyle Alexander, later confirmed that work at the Port had been affected.
“As far as operations go, the operations at the Port today have halted. We have no significant operations at the Port because the workers did not turn out to work…and that’s where we are right now,” he said, adding that a meeting planned with the staff was not fully attended.
“There was a staff meeting this morning …I spoke to the employees. It was not a union meeting; it was not intended to be a union meeting (and) the attendance was impacted by the absence of some of the workers.
“I am aware there was a call for a boycott by the union, which they seemingly responded to. Of course, after the meeting, there was a period for questions, and we addressed some of the burning issues employees may have had…but not related solely…with the work stoppage”.
Annisette said the union is ready to meet with management to discuss the situation.
“We had meetings with the Shipping Association, which were very productive and informative…where we could put our case to the parties, and they understood the real issues.
‘So we are open to meeting with anybody. Our agreement with the Port Authority, our employer-in-law, can stand scrutiny. All we are saying is implement the 12 percent along with the various work practices and framework agreements to make the Port profitable, more productive, and more efficient in keeping with best international standards,” he added.
Port workers have been protesting since the start of October, demanding a 12 percent salary increase for the period 2014 to 2017, which had been agreed upon with the previous government.
However, Sinanan told legislators that the SWWTU was provided with an offer for 2014-17 and 2017-2020, and the SWWTU has refused the submitted offer.
He said the PATT has been “actively engaging the union to bring about a settlement on this matter without success.”
The Trinidad and Tobago Chamber of Industry and Commerce (T&T Chamber) has already expressed concerns over the continued disruptions at the Port of Spain, noting that the labor dispute highlights labor and operational challenges. It is urging key stakeholders to engage in constructive dialogue for a swift resolution.
Sinanan told Parliament that PATT has signaled its “desire to continue negotiations in good faith, but is challenged by the long-term inflationary economic impact.”
He insisted that the guidelines for the negotiations were not followed, so the agreement reached could not be honored. When pressed by the opposition to disclose the names of the senior counsels, he would not, telling legislators, “Based on the discussions and the stage of these negotiations, it would be improper for me to make those available based on impending court action that may come out of this decision.”
He recalled that in 2014, a committee headed by the then finance minister, Larry Howai, was established, adding, “I don’t know of that being altered then; however, what we can say is they do get guidelines from the committee on negotiations.”
Sinanan also reiterated that there are three bargaining units at the Port of Port of Spain and that the “issue is with one of the bargaining units.”















































and then